Seton Hall University Libraries accept donations of scholarly materials for the circulating collections that are relevant to the University’s curricular and research areas. All potential gifts will be evaluated by subject expert librarians in accordance with the collection development policies of the University Libraries. Potential gift items will meet one or more of the following criteria:
Support the University’s curriculum
Support the research needs of our faculty and students
Kinds of donations that are not accepted:
- Materials that are not within the scope of the library’s collection
- Materials that are in poor physical condition, e.g., contain mold, mildew or water stains or need extensive repair.
- Popular trade paperbacks.
- Most single issues and bound periodicals.
- Outdated, superseded titles.
- Materials that the library already owns.
Donors will please provide the following information before their gift will be considered:
- The format and type of materials, e.g., books, paperbacks, rare, visual materials etc.
- The date range (imprint), condition and quantity of the donation
Note: It is the donor’s responsibility to bring or ship the donations to the library. The Library does not have any means to pick up books or other gift material.
For the purpose of stewardship, the donor is to provide his/her name and address.
Conditions of Acceptance
- Upon acceptance, a gift becomes the property of Seton Hall University Libraries.
- The library reserves the right to determine if the donated item(s) will be added to the collection, where the item(s) will be located within the collection, and how the item(s) will be made accessible
- The Library staff may ask to make a site visit to evaluate the collection
- Federal tax regulations prohibit the University Libraries from providing an appraisal or estimates of value of a gift. Obtaining an appraisal or valuation statement is the donor’s responsibility.
Contact Information: (973) 275-2046 or (973) 761-9440