Walking Tour of Historical South Orange
Campus produced for Charter Week 2018 by Dr. Bryan Meadows. The tour booklet and those making the physical journey around campus will provide some historical insights into the buildings and structures
that make up the South Orange campus. As you are likely aware, the South
Orange campus is not the original campus which was located in Madison, New
Jersey. The university took up residence on this site starting in 1860.
Historically, Seton Hall has also operated campus locations in Paterson and
Jersey City. In present day, the Seton Hall Law School is located in downtown
Newark, New Jersey. A new campus for the School of Medicine is being
established in Nutley, New Jersey. The tour is organized to follow the chronological development of the South
Orange campus over time. It can be divided into three sections that outline the
development of the campus chronologically: (1) Early Development of South
Orange campus; (2) Post-War Years 1940-1960s; (3) Re-orientation of
Campus (1970s – 2000s).