The Center collects materials that document Catholicism and Catholic life in New Jersey. The following is a partial list of archival collections in this area, and will be added to as more collections are processed. Clicking on the title of the collection will take you to the finding aid for this collection; unless otherwise indicated, materials in these collections are not digitally available.
The à Kempis Club of New Jersey was a Catholic women's organization, affiliated with the National Conference of Catholic Women, that hosted events featuring speakers or lecturers on a variety of topics, raised money for charity, and celebrated mass. The à Kempis Club of New Jersey records include newsclippings, yearbooks, correspondence, stationary, and a guestbook, documenting the activities of the Club in the 1990's.
0.25 linear feet.
Ace Alagna was a photographer, editor and publisher of the Italian Tribune, and prominent member of the Italian American community in Newark, NJ. The Ace Alagna photographs consist of photographic negatives, prints, videos, and layout sheets from Ace Alagna's career as a photographer and as editor and owner of the newspaper the Italian Tribune.
40 linear feet, approximately 40,000 items.
The Archdiocese of Newark celebrated the 125th anniversary of its founding in 1978. Materials in the Archdiocese of Newark 125th Anniversary records include correspondence and memoranda related to the planning and attendance of celebratory events.
½ linear foot, approximately 180 items.
The Diocese of Newark was created in 1853 and was elevated to an Archdiocese in 1937. The Chancery Office required parish priests to submit yearly reports reflecting the financial and spiritual condition of their churches. The Diocese of Newark Church reports include the annual reports of parish priests to the Chancery Office from 1843-1925, which themselves include information on population and sacramental statistics.
20.0 Linear feet, Approximately 6,000 items.
The Archdiocese of Newark's Expansion Program, also called the Archdiocese of Newark Development Program, was started in the 1960s as a fundraising drive to raise money needed for new schools and buildings. The Archdiocese of Newark Expansion Project records include correspondence, information on architects or architecture firms and contractors, and what appears to be preliminary research on developing building projects.
1 linear foot.
Archdiocese of Newark Parish records, 1856-2012, ADN 0010.005
The Archdiocese of Newark has 221 parishes. The Archdiocese of Newark Parish records include correspondence, parish histories, parish reports, brochures, and other materials documenting the activities of the parishes and their parishioners. Parishes that have closed have also sent their sacramental records to the Archives. For more information on sacramental records, please see our homepage. Types of records vary across parishes, and there is material from parishes outside the Archdiocese, as well.
Approximately 100 linear feet.
The Society of the Holy Name, also called Confraternity of the Most Holy Names of God and Jesus, is a group dedicated to the reverence of the names of God and Jesus, open to men age 18 and older. John P. Barrington was a police officer in the Newark Police Department and was an active member of the Newark Police Department Holy Name Society. The John P. Barrington collection on the Newark Police Department Holy Name Society consists of Holy Name Society handbooks and manuals, event programs, convention programs, and newclippings documenting the people and activities of the Society.
0.5 linear feet, Approximately 50 items
The Bayley Seton League was founded in 1938 and is recognized as the oldest service organization at Seton Hall University. The Bayley-Seton League records include documents related to the operation of the organization.
5.0 Linear feet
The Catholic Women's College Club was a New Jersey organization in operation from at least 1934-1985. This collection spans the years of 1934 through 1985 and documents the development and subsequent operations of the Catholic Women's College Club, a New Jersey organization. The collection includes records of meetings and activities as well as clippings and memorabilia.
2.0 Linear feet , Approximately 700 items.
Pope John Paul II was elected to the papacy of the Roman Catholic Church in October of 1978. In 1995, Pope John Paul II visited Newark, NJ, and East Rutherford, NJ, as well as New York and Baltimore. While in New Jersey, he celebrated Mass at Sacred Heart Cathedral Basilica in Newark. The Collection on Pope John Paul II's visits to the United States describes and shows the build up, events, and aftermath of the Pope's visit. The bulk of the material covers Pope John Paul II's visit to Newark on October 4, 1995, but additional material is included on the Pope's trip to Baltimore on October 8, 1995 and past trips to the United States.
4.5 linear feet.
Elizabeth Ann Seton was the first American-born saint, and is the patroness of Seton Hall University. The Collection on Saint Elizabeth Ann Seton contains materials documenting the life and legacy of Elizabeth Anne Seton and was compiled by the Monsignor Field Archives and Special Collections Center.
2.5 linear feet.
Michael A. Corrigan was the second Bishop of Newark and the third president of Seton Hall College. The Michael A. Corrigan papers primarily consist of materials related to Corrigan's tenure as Bishop.
4.5 Linear feet , 10 boxes, 1 microfilm reel and 3 bound volumes.
Stephen J. Foley is a lawyer involved with the New Jersey Right to Life organization. The Stephen J. Foley Right to Life papers include materaisl created and disseminated by the New Jersey Right to Life organization, including meeting notes, pamphlets and photographs, materials related to the pro-life movement in New Jersey such as newspaper articles, legal materials from court cases related to abortion, and Stephen Foley's notes and correspondence related to his involvement with Right to Life. Some of this material appears to be contemporary to the Supreme Court decision in the case of Roe v. Wade in 1973, and may refer to this case peripherally.
Approximately 6.0 linear feet.
Franklin Lakes Farms were a parcel of properties left to the Archdiocese of Newark by the estate of John McKenzie. The Franklin Lakes Farms of the Archdiocese of Newark records include correspondence, account statements, bank statements, bills, and reports related to the acquisition and maintenance of the Franklin Lakes Farms properties.
1.75 linear feet.
Robert F. Garner (1920-2000) served as priest and bishop in Hudson and Essex counties in NJ. This collection includes correspondence, video recordings, a sick call box, and memorabilia depicting his service to local communities.
1 linear foot.
John L. Gerety (1916-2000), brother to Archbishop Peter L. Gerety, was an insurance agent and a Lieutenant in World War II before becoming a priest of the Diocese of Trenton in 1957. The John L. Gerety papers include correspondence with family, including Archbishop Gerety, Fr. Gerety's military file and awards, books and personal items, scrapbooks, newsclippings, and photographs.
7.0 linear feet
This is a pdf version of a print finding aid, and has not been edited.
Paul J. Hayes (1922- ) attended Immaculate Conception Seminary and was ordained into the priesthood in 1948. While a parish priest, Fr. Hayes produced educational films and was executive secretary for the National Catholic Office for Motion Pictures, 1953-1957. He was granted the title of Very Reverend Monsignor in 1965, taught ethics at Seton Hall University, and was the school chaplain of East Orange High School. The Paul J. Hayes papers include a large number of photographs and slides, a few papers, audiotapes, and two films.
3.0 linear feet
This is a pdf version of a print finding aid, and has not been edited.
William and Marie Henderson were New Jersey natives who were actively involved with the Seton Hall University community and the larger Catholic community in the South Orange area, through the Bayley Seton League, the Society for the Propagation of the Faith, the a Kempis Club of New Jersey, the Mercier Club, and other organizations. The William T. and Marie J. Henderson papers include the personal papers of William and Marie Henderson related to various activities, some photographs, and some material related to Seton Hall University and their family history.
3.0 linear feet.
Walter Jarvais (1904-2003) was a priest of the Archdiocese of Newark. He attended Seton Hall Preparatory School, Seton Hall University, and Immaculate Conception Seminary, and was ordained in 1930. Fr. Jarvais served in U.S. Merchant Marines as a chaplain during WWII, and was a professor of English and Chair of the Religious Studies department at Seton Hall University. The Walter Jarvais papers include official and personal correspondence, notes on and copied of sermons, photographs, awards, and certificates.
14.0 linear feet.
This is a pdf version of a print finding aid, and has not been edited.
John H. Koenig was born 24 December 1916. He graduated from Seton Hall college in 1938, was ordained into the priesthood on 30 May 1942 at St. Patrick's Cathedral in Newark, N.J., and served as director of the Archdiocesan Ecumenical Commission. Msgr. Koenig died on 15 August 2004. The John Koenig papers contain the professional papers of Rev. John Koenig from his work in the Archdiocese of Newark and as a parish pastor.
Approximately 3 linear feet.
The Legion of Decency was an organization dedicated to determining the moral content (objectionable or acceptable), according to the view of the Roman Catholic Church, of motion pictures in the United States. The Legion of Decency of the Archdiocese of Newark records primarily consist of index cards with titles and ratings, newsclippings, letters to government officials, records of the Legion's meetings and members, and other documents.
1.5 linear feet.
The Liturgical Commission of the Archdiocese of Newark was created after the Constitution on the Sacred Liturgy was produced by the Second Vatican Council and gave guidance to the priests and lay congregation of the Archdiocese of Newark on changes to the liturgy. The Liturgical Commission of the Archdiocese of Newark records includes materials related to the work of the Liturgical Commission during the 1960s to assist in selecting and incorporating new materials for and into the Liturgy.
2 linear feet.
The Milano Lardiere family immigrated to New Jersey from Itlay in the late 19th or early 20th century. The family lived in Belleville, N.J. Angelina, Filomena, and Josephine Lardiere were sisters born in the early 20th century. The Milano Lardiere family photographs primarily consists of snapshots and photographs of members of the Lardiere family, as well as photographs of the Milano family, landscapes and scenery, and some objects belonging to Angelina Lardiere.
The New Jersey Catholic Historical Commission (NJCHC) is a specially appointed board sponsored by the Catholic Bishops of New Jersey and Seton Hall University with its administrative offices within the Archives & Special Collections Center. The NJCHC records contain materials from the founding of the Commission to the present day.
11 linear feet.
Msgr. Edward Fleming was a priest of the Archdiocese of Newark and the 14th President of Seton Hall University, from 1969-1970. The Office of the President & Chancellor of Seton Hall University: Edward J. Fleming records include materials from Edward J. Fleming's time as a senior administrator of Seton Hall University.
7.5 linear feet.
Msgr. James F. Kelley was the President of Seton Hall University from 1936 to 1949. The James F. Kelley papers houses personal records, records of Seton Hall College, and the College's student body.
10 linear feet
Reverend Francis J. Monaghan served as president of Seton Hall College from 1933 to 1936, after having served as a faculty member at the Immaculated Conception Seminary. The Francis J. Monaghan papers contain documents from his tenure as President of Seton Hall College from 1933 to 1936.
The Office of Research and Planning for the Archdiocese of Newark initiates and maintains program-oriented planning and development to maximize the resources of the Church in Newark. The Office of Research and Planning of the Archdiocese of Newark records include materials related to the beginning of the ORP in 1975 and its activities through the 1970s and 1980s.
6.5 linear feet.
The Mother Cabrini Catholic War Veterans, Post 156, was founded in 1946 by combat veterans of the second Wolrd War. The group was a chapter of the national Catholic War Veterans group and usually met at Our Lady of Mount Carmel parish in Newark. The Mother Cabrini Catholic War Veterens Post 156 records include materials related to the club's operation, such as correspondence, financial documents, information on membership, and the donation of a statue of Saint Francis Xavier Cabrini to the City of Newark.
0.5 linear feet.
The Mount Carmel Guild of Newark was established in 1929 by Bishop Thomas J. Walsh as an organization that provided mental, spiritual and physical relief to individuals receiving public assistance. The Mount Carmel Guild of the Archdiocese of Newark records include correspondence, newsletters, newsclippings, bills, and scrapbooks describing the activities of the guild.
Approximately 5.5 linear feet.
National Council of Catholic Women of the Diocese of Newark records, 1923-1929, ADN 0026
The Diocese of Newark chapter of the National Council of Catholic Women was formed in 1923. This collection includes records of the Council such as minutes, by-laws, and reports.
½ linear foot, approximately 30 items.
The Society of the Holy Name, also called Confraternity of the Most Holy Names of God and Jesus, is a group dedicated to the reverence of the names of God and Jesus. In 1930, Holy Name Society groups in the Archdiocese of Newark combined to form the Newark Archdiocesan Federation of Holy Name Societies. However, after 1940 this Federation seems to have dissolved and Holy Name Society groups in the New Jersey area are under the auspices of the National Association of Holy Name Societies. The Newark Archdiocesan Federation of Holy Name Societies records document the formation and early years of the unification of Holy Name Society groups within the Archdiocese of Newark. The collection includes meeting minutes and the constitution of the organization.
0.5 Linear feet , Approximately 50 items.
John J. O'Connor was born in Newark, NJ in 1855, attended Seton Hall College and the North American College in Rome. He was a priest of the Diocese of Newark, a professor at Seton Hall College, the Vicar General of the Diocese under Bishop Winand Wigger, and became Bishop of the Diocese of Newark upon the death of Bishop Wigger, in 1901. He served as bishop until his death in 1927. The John J. O'Connor papers include the personal and professional papers of Bishop O'Connor, primarily from his time as the Bishop of the Diocese of Newark; these materials include episcopal and legal documents, correspondence, visitation ledgers, and other materials. The collection also includes some professional papers of Bishop O'Connor's Vicar General, Rev. John Sheppard, and his Chancellor, Rev. Thomas Wallace.
9.5 linear feet.
The Salt family originally lived in Brooklyn, NY but moved to Bath, NY in the 1840s. William Salt married Jane Dodge of Brooklyn and the couple had nine children: William Salt, Jr., Mary, John, Elinor, Caroline, Phoebe, Jennie, Dannie, Sarah, and Wellington. This collection primarily consists of correspondence between members of the Salt family. William M. Salt is a major contributor to this correspondence, as are three of his sisters Elinor, Mary (Mollie), and Caroline (Caddie). In addition, there are some letters from individuals not related to the Salt family. The collection spans the years of 1808 through 1917, although the bulk of the materials cover the 1850's through the 1890's. Topics covered in the correspondence includes the outbreak of the Civil War in Arkansas, life at Seton Hall College, and life for women and families in New York and New Jersey.
2.5 Linear feet, Approximately 800 items.
Serra International, founded in 1935, is the global lay apostolate for vocations in the Catholic Church, an organization made up of some 20,000 Catholic lay men and women in local Serra Clubs. The first Serra Club in New Jersey was chartered in Montclair, followed by the Oranges and many other locations. Many of these clubs are still in operation. The Serra Clubs records of the Archdiocese of Newark include files relating to the multiple Serra Clubs in operation in the Archdiocese of Newark since the 1950s, and includes correspondence, meeting minutes, programs, budgets, and other materials.
8 linear feet.
The Seton Junior League was founded in 1940 by young women fond of the idea of service in hopes of one day becoming part of the Bayley-Seton League. The Seton Junior League collection includes reports, meeting minutes, correspondence, and other materials related to the operation of the League.
1.0 Linear feet Approximately 50 items.
Rev. Monsignor. George W. Shea was born on 27 December 1910 in Newark, New Jersey, and attended Seton Hall University. He was ordained on 29 March 1936, became a Navy chaplain during World War II, and was a Peritus (expert) of the Second Vatican Council, attending all four sessions. He died on 8 July 1990 in Orange, New Jersey. This collection covers the professional areas of Monsignor George W. Shea's life. Research topics with great significance are centered on the Second Vatican Council, one of his longest and most prominent studies.
Approximately 15 linear feet.
The Sites and Building Committee of the Archdiocese of Newark was created to oversee and advise on the purchase and sale of property by the Archidiocese as well as oversee all building and construction projects. The Sites and Building Committee of the Archdiocese of Newark records include meeting minutes, correspondence, and files on individual parish property and building projects.
Approximately 0.5 linear feet.
Mary Theresa (King) Smith was a prominent figure in Catholic and volunteer works in New Jersey throughout the mid 1900's. The Mary Smith papers relate to her work within several different Catholic and volunteer organizations, and spans the years between 1933 and 1970, including the Mount Carmel Guild and the National Council of Catholic Women.
1 linear foot, Approximately 300 items.
Diocesan synods are called by the bishop of the diocese for the purpose of introducing, deliberating on, and promulgating statutes regarding matters pertaining to the members of the diocese. The Synod of the Archdiocese of Newark records include materials related to the synod called by Archbishop Thomas J. Walsh in 1941.
0.75 Linear feet , Approximately 150 items.
The Vicar for Religious, historically a member of the clergy or a member of a religious order, serves as the liaison between the Archbishop and the religious orders of the diocese. The Vicar for Religious of the Archdiocese of Newark records primarily consists of correspondence between members of religious orders, primarily the womens' religious orders, and the Archbishop, via the Vicar. The correspondence covers topics including contracts, ceremonies, practices of the religious orders, canonization of the founders of some orders, and other matters.
Approximately 19 linear feet.
This collection documents the history, activities, and celebrations of many of the women's Religious Orders throughout New Jersey, generally spanning the years from 1968-2012. The collection also contains materials related to some out-of-state orders, particularly in New York, and materials related to Saint Elizabeth Anne Seton and individual sisters of some orders.
WSOU is a student-run college radio station founded in 1948; it began broadcasting on 89.5 FM 14 April 1948. The WSOU records include sound recordings of past radio broadcasts and some documentation of station activities.
Approximately 4 linear feet.
Catholic New Jersey Rare Book Collections
The following section provides information on specific rare book titles and associated print materials related to Catholic New Jersey history along with broader works on Catholicism. The following titles below provide an introduction to the subject and offer a starting point for more involved research options.
The link above leads you to the University Libraries Homepage featuring the "Search Everything" box with options to review varied materials found via our different catalogs and databases. You can also consult any of the other tabs above the main search engine box for a full picture of what is available within our full collection.