Skip to main content

Special Collections at Seton Hall University

Catholic Organizations Archival Collections

The Center collects materials that document Catholic organizations, whether run by members of religious communities or lay Catholics, particularly in New Jersey. The following is a partial list of archival collections in this area, and will be added to as more collections are processed. Clicking on the title of the collection will take you to the finding aid for this collection; unless otherwise indicated, materials in these collections are not digitally available.

 

  • à Kempis of New Jersey records, 1984-1997 (bulk 1991-1997)
    The à Kempis Club of New Jersey was a Catholic women's organization, affiliated with the National Conference of Catholic Women, that hosted events featuring speakers or lecturers on a variety of topics, raised money for charity, and celebrated mass. The à Kempis Club of New Jersey records include newsclippings, yearbooks, correspondence, stationary, and a guestbook, documenting the activities of the Club in the 1990's.
    0.25 linear feet.
  • John P. Barrington collection on the Newark Police Department Holy Name Society, 1914-1977 (bulk 1947-1977), Mss 0066
    The Society of the Holy Name, also called Confraternity of the Most Holy Names of God and Jesus, is a group dedicated to the reverence of the names of God and Jesus, open to men age 18 and older. John P. Barrington was a police officer in the Newark Police Department and was an active member of the Newark Police Department Holy Name Society. The John P. Barrington collection on the Newark Police Department Holy Name Society consists of Holy Name Society handbooks and manuals, event programs, convention programs, and newclippings documenting the people and activities of the Society.
    0.5 linear feet, Approximately 50 items
  • Bayley Seton League records, 1939-1998, SHU 0047
    The Bayley Seton League was founded in 1938 and is recognized as the oldest service organization at Seton Hall University. The Bayley-Seton League records include documents related to the operation of the organization.
    5.0 Linear feet
  • Bishop's Relief Fund of the Archdiocese of Newark records, 1944-1966, ADN 0009
    The Bishop's Relief Fund refers to Catholic Relief Services, a humanitarian organization founded by the United States Council of Catholic Bishops. Within the Archdiocese of Newark, the director of the Bishop's Relief Fund oversaw an annual collection within the archdiocese, as well as organizing any special collections in response to disasters and calamitous events. The Bishop's Relief Fund of the Archdiocese of Newark records include materials related to the collection of monies for Catholic Relief Services (CRS) within the Archdiocese of Newark.
    3 linear feet.
  • Catholic Forum records, 1949-1972, ADN 0037
    The Catholic Forum records include the minutes, ledgers, event materials, correspondence, and reports from the Catholic Forum organization.
    3.5 linear feet.
  • Catholic Women's College Club records, 1934-1985, ADN 0027
    The Catholic Women's College Club was a New Jersey organization in operation from at least 1934-1985. This collection spans the years of 1934 through 1985 and documents the development and subsequent operations of the Catholic Women's College Club, a New Jersey organization. The collection includes records of meetings and activities as well as clippings and memorabilia.
    2.0 Linear feet , Approximately 700 items.
  • William T. and Marie Henderson family papers, 1930-1989, Mss 0008
    William and Marie Henderson were New Jersey natives who were actively involved with the Seton Hall University community and the larger Catholic community in the South Orange area, through the Bayley Seton League, the Society for the Propagation of the Faith, the a Kempis Club of New Jersey, the Mercier Club, and other organizations. The William T. and Marie J. Henderson papers include the personal papers of William and Marie Henderson related to various activities, some photographs, and some material related to Seton Hall University and their family history.
    3.0 linear feet.
  • Legion of Decency of the Archdiocese of Newark records, 1954-1978, ADN 0055
    The Legion of Decency was an organization dedicated to determining the moral content (objectionable or acceptable), according to the view of the Roman Catholic Church, of motion pictures in the United States. The Legion of Decency of the Archdiocese of Newark records primarily consist of index cards with titles and ratings, newsclippings, letters to government officials, records of the Legion's meetings and members, and other documents.
    1.5 linear feet.
  • Mother Cabrini Catholic War Veterans Post 156 records, 1946-1977, ADN 0056
    The Mother Cabrini Catholic War Veterans, Post 156, was founded in 1946 by combat veterans of the second Wolrd War. The group was a chapter of the national Catholic War Veterans group and usually met at Our Lady of Mount Carmel parish in Newark. The Mother Cabrini Catholic War Veterens Post 156 records include materials related to the club's operation, such as correspondence, financial documents, information on membership, and the donation of a statue of Saint Francis Xavier Cabrini to the City of Newark.
    0.5 linear feet.
  • Mount Carmel Guild of the Archdiocese of Newark records, 1929-1974, bulk 1929-1937
    The Mount Carmel Guild of Newark was established in 1929 by Bishop Thomas J. Walsh as an organization that provided mental, spiritual and physical relief to individuals receiving public assistance. The Mount Carmel Guild of the Archdiocese of Newark records include correspondence, newsletters, newsclippings, bills, and scrapbooks describing the activities of the guild.
    Approximately 5.5 linear feet.
  • National Council of Catholic Women of the Diocese of Newark records, 1923-1929, ADN 0026
    The Diocese of Newark chapter of the National Council of Catholic Women was formed in 1923. This collection includes records of the Council such as minutes, by-laws, and reports.
    ½ linear foot, approximately 30 items.
  • Newark Archdiocesan Federation of Holy Name Societies records, 1935-1940, ADN 0046
    The Society of the Holy Name, also called Confraternity of the Most Holy Names of God and Jesus, is a group dedicated to the reverence of the names of God and Jesus. In 1930, Holy Name Society groups in the Archdiocese of Newark combined to form the Newark Archdiocesan Federation of Holy Name Societies. However, after 1940 this Federation seems to have dissolved and Holy Name Society groups in the New Jersey area are under the auspices of the National Association of Holy Name Societies. The Newark Archdiocesan Federation of Holy Name Societies records document the formation and early years of the unification of Holy Name Society groups within the Archdiocese of Newark. The collection includes meeting minutes and the constitution of the organization.
    0.5 Linear feet , Approximately 50 items.
  • Serra Clubs of the Archdiocese of Newark records, 1954-1995, ADN 0038
    Serra International, founded in 1935, is the global lay apostolate for vocations in the Catholic Church, an organization made up of some 20,000 Catholic lay men and women in local Serra Clubs. The first Serra Club in New Jersey was chartered in Montclair, followed by the Oranges and many other locations. Many of these clubs are still in operation. The Serra Clubs records of the Archdiocese of Newark include files relating to the multiple Serra Clubs in operation in the Archdiocese of Newark since the 1950s, and includes correspondence, meeting minutes, programs, budgets, and other materials.
    8 linear feet.
  • Seton Hall publications, 1856-2012, SHU 0001
    The Seton Hall University Archives and Special Collections Center collects materials published by the University, offices or departments within the University, and/or students of the University. This finding aid includes a list of publications currently held; new additions will be added periodically.
    Approximately 50 linear feet.
  • Seton Junior League records, 1939-1980, SHU 0048
    The Seton Junior League was founded in 1940 by young women fond of the idea of service in hopes of one day becoming part of the Bayley-Seton League. The Seton Junior League collection includes reports, meeting minutes, correspondence, and other materials related to the operation of the League.
    1.0 Linear feet Approximately 50 items.
  • Mary Smith papers, 1933-1972, Mss 0063
    Mary Theresa (King) Smith was a prominent figure in Catholic and volunteer works in New Jersey throughout the mid 1900's. The Mary Smith papers relate to her work within several different Catholic and volunteer organizations, and spans the years between 1933 and 1970, including the Mount Carmel Guild and the National Council of Catholic Women.
    1 linear foot, Approximately 300 items.
  • Women’s Guild of Seton Hall University records, 1956-2000, SHU 0049
    The records of the volunteer organization Women's Guild of Seton Hall University.
    5.0 Linear feet , Approximately 1300 items
  • Women’s religious orders of the Archdiocese of Newark records, 1968-2012, ADN 0012
    This collection documents the history, activities, and celebrations of many of the women's Religious Orders throughout New Jersey, generally spanning the years from 1968-2012. The collection also contains materials related to some out-of-state orders, particularly in New York, and materials related to Saint Elizabeth Anne Seton and individual sisters of some orders.
    7.0 boxes
Login to LibApps