1. Save the PDF somewhere easy to find (e.g. desktop).
2. Find the article on your desktop, click to select it, then right-click and from the menu select "Edit with Nitro Pro."
3. After the file opens, look for the Nitro Pro icon on the upper left of the window to be sure you are using the software.
4. Click on the "Review" tab.
5. In that menu section, click on the "OCR" button.
6. In the window that opens, click the OK button, which will make the document readable and searchable.
7. The Progress window will show up. Wait while the conversion processes; it will automatically close when completed.
8. Click on the Save icon to embed the changes into the original document, and then close the file.
9. To test OCR functionality, open the document again, then using your keyboard, press/hold the CTRL button, and while holding it press the "F" key. The "Find" window will pop up, and you can then search for any word, and see it highlighted.
If you have a paper document and want to create an OCR compliant file, you need to scan it using OCR technology. All of the SHU Canon multifunction scanner/printers/fax machines have this technology. To make sure the option is enabled, please follow the steps below:
1. Swipe your ID to log into the machine.
2. Select "Scan and Send"
3. Select "PDF" on the right side of the screen.
4. Select the "Set Details" option on the right side of the screen.
5. Select "OCR/Text Searchable" and then click OK until you are back at the scan screen.
6. Select the destination and complete the scan.
7. The document that is emailed to your chosen destination will be OCR compliant.